Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Beekman 1802, to the tune of Buddy Greco

The American Hotel. Picture courtesy of The American Hotel site.

Old Sharon Springs, NY tourist sign. Picture courtesy of The American Hotel site.

Roseboro Hotel, Sharon Springs, NY. Picture courtesy of The Roseboro.com site.

I have always loved my adopted area, The Central NY Mohawk Valley, from the rolling hills and farms to the friendly people. Not only is it Amish Country, but it is a superb blend of bucolic scenery, New York State history, antiques, and retro living. But I recently discovered The Fabulous Beekman Boys , otherwise known as Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge, transplanted Manhattanites, and their 1802 farmhouse about 12 miles from me in Sharon Springs, NY. They have a show on Planet Green, and are very active in the Sharon Springs town life. Which is a good thing, because Sharon Springs is a fading tourist town experiencing a cultural resurgence thanks to folks like the Beekman Boys and the proprietors of the American Hotel , among others. In fact, the little mineral springs resort town is now populated by Manhattanites of all sorts, and is more creative and lively because of it. If you want a real old-fashioned rural day trip experience, take Route 20 from Albany, NY all the way to Sharon Springs, and spend time at quaint shops like Cobbler and Company, a refurbished cobbler shop turned antique and novelty store, and The Black Cat Cafe, a wonderful from-scratch bakery and restaurant. For more info on my area, visit the The Mohawk Valley Living blog, and The Sharon Springs Chamber of Commerce site.

Here, for your viewing pleasure, is a look at the Beekman 1802 mansion's fabulously decorated rooms, to the tune of some swank Ultralounge Buddy Greco. What could be better than rural history, retro decor, and vintage tunes? Happy Holidays!

(Click on the Youtube title link at the top of the video screen to see the video in large scale.)


For more Fabulous Beekman Boys Youtube videos, go here.
Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Gi said...

AMEI O BLOG... PASSA LÁ NO MEU PERTICIPAR DO SORTEIO SIGMA!!!

www.pimentaroja.blogspot.com

Bjitos

Gi

skippysays said...

Wow, so beautiful!
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

busanalayali said...

This is a great posting I have read. I like your article..


busana muslim

John Schindler II said...

Love your blog. I’m a lifelong antiquer, and am making my passion for antiques a full-time business by selling antiques online. I’m blogging about my experiences at my brand-new blog, Wisdom Lane Antiques: wisdomlaneantiques.blogspot.com. Stop by!

cheap prom dresses said...

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up! cheap prom dresses

Cindy said...

What a lovely place Sharon Springs must be. I love towns like that, quaint yet artsy.
Thanks so much for coming by my blog, I am enjoying yours. I love retro, vintage and antiques.
Cindy

Estelle Petersen said...

Very nice and interesting blog for those antiquers like me. will stop by again soon!

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend